EcoZone Écozones

Data Format(s): Unavailable

Coordinate system: Grid CS = Geographic (Lat, Long); Map Proj = Not Applicable; Horiz. Datum = NAD83; Vert. Datum = Not Applicable

Abstract:
The ELC of Ontario was revised by the ELC Working Group in 2000 to better reflect the ELC system originally developed by Angus Hills (1959 and later revisions). This dataset was revised to take account new information and new technology, while maintaining Hills's original concepts. For further information on the rationale for the revisions, refer to Ecoregions of Ontario Modifications to Angus Hills Site Regions and Districts, Revisions and Rationale, Crins and Uhlig 2000 . In 2002, the spatial data was updated using NRVIS drainage polygon data including islands from Great Lakes, St. Lawrence, and Ottawa River, and more detailed shoreline data. NTS mapping was also used to delineate the northern, eastern (Quebec border), and western (Manitoba border) boundaries of the province. In 2006, the shorelins of the Great Lakes, St. Lawrence, and Ottawa River were removed and the effected polygon boundaries were extended out over the water bodies to the extent of the provincial boundary. This modification was undertaken to provide a more generic data layer which is intended to be used as a selection tool, and as a backdrop upon which evolving and multi scalar hydorology layers may be overlain or intersected. Legislated or Legal Authority for Collection: None Additional Time Period Information: Pre-publication dataset was finished in early February 2003, with minor edits to correct mislabels and minor boundary errors. Several island polygons were missing in Georgian Bay and have been added on June 9, 2005. Data was checked and cleaned for content, classification, spatial integrity late 2005 and early 2006. Final data prep was completed late 2006 and data was successfully loaded into LIO Warehouse as a non-structured, packaged dataset. This data was updated, and a structured dataset was created in 2006. This structured dataset was loaded into the LIO Warehouse late 2006.